1. According to Erik Erikson, in late adulthood the individual reaches the eighth and final stage of the life span in which one reviews and evaluates one’s life and the choices one has made. Erikson labeled this stage
(A) initiative versus guilt
(B) integrity versus despair
(C) generativity versus stagnation
(D) identity versus role confusion
(E) intimacy versus isolation
2. When community psychologists refer to primary prevention, they are describing which of the following goals?
(A) Keeping disorders from developing
(B) Detecting and treating disorders early
(C) Reducing the harm of psychological disorders to the individual and society
(D) Ensuring that psychotherapy is available to all who seek it
(E) Developing group therapies
3. Which of the following is true of a neuron in the resting state?
(A) The inside of the cell membrane is negative compared to the outside.
(B) The outside of the cell membrane is negative compared to the inside.
(C) The concentration of sodium ions is equal inside and outside of the cell membrane.
(D) Both the sodium and the potassium channels are open.
(E) The neuron is not polarized.
4. Luz, a math major, sees the drawing above as a Venn diagram. Her brother, an art major, sees it as two circles. The difference in perception is an example of
(C) stimulus variables
(D) top-down processing
(E) feature detection
5. Transforming frustrated urges, especially sexual urges, into more socially acceptable forms of behavior is the defense mechanism known as
6. Which monocular depth cue is illustrated in the figure above?
(B) Texture gradient
(C) Relative size
(E) Linear perspective
Question 1 is reprinted for your convenience.
1. Psychologists agree that both biology and environment influence personality, mental processing, and behaviors.
A. Different biological mechanisms are associated with each of the following. Explain one biological mechanism for each. Definitions alone will not score.
B. Different environmental factors are associated with each of the following. Explain one environmental factor for each. Definitions alone will not score.
2. Brianna’s home state was holding a singing competition, and the prize was a recording contract. Brianna loves to sing, but she gets anxious when she sings for strangers and therefore did not want to participate. Brianna felt pressure from her family and friends to compete.
A. Explain how each of the following concepts could have influenced Brianna’s decision whether to enter the competition.
B. Brianna decided to enter the competition. Explain how each of the following may relate to her performance.
C. Although Brianna rehearsed her song and felt that she sang very well, she was eliminated from the competition. When Brianna tells others about her experience, how might she use the self-serving bias to help explain her elimination?